A group of RC car enthusiasts are developing a new kind of RC car, which they hope will break the world RC car speed record. The X3 electric RC car uses a 29.6 volt brushless motor with a pair of Thunder Power RC 4 cell 3300mAh LiPoly batteries to achieve speeds faster than many full scale cars are capable of.
The current world speed record for an RC car is 134.4 miles per hour (216.3 kilometers per hour). A test run of the X3 has been clocked at a speed of 83 miles per hour, but design changes are underway to improve upon this. The motor has a theoretical maximum speed of 274 miles per hour, but friction limits the actual speed that the RC car can achieve. An aerodynamic body is designed to minimize air friction and increase the speed of the RC car to its design goal of 200 miles per hour.
At such incredible speeds, a human driver cannot possibly control the RC car sufficiently. This is why a pair of aerodynamic fins and a gyroscope have been added to the RC car’s body. Without control input, the RC car can speed down a large length of pavement in a perfectly straight line.
The designers also replaced the rubber tires usually used by RC cars with lightweight foam. Unlike the rubber wheels which generate large amounts of heat, the foam wheels can be used at high speeds without danger of disintegrating.
You can read more about the X3 electric RC car at its creators blog.
Learn more about Thunder Power RC by visiting the Thunder Power RC Web site.
Product Announcements June 26, 2008
We have published a handy reference comparing the different toys on our website. If you are unsure about the technical specifications of a toy, you can look them up in the tables.
Thunder Power RC has released new pre-assembled, impact resistant, Lithium Polymer Battery (LiPo) race packs for RC cars & Traxxas RC trucks that are drop-in replacements for existing 6-cell 7.2V NiMH and NiCd battery packs.
The new batteries are factory matched ‘Race Series’ packs with 3300mAh, 3900mAh, 5000mAh, 5100mAh, and 5400mAh capacities split into three sub-categories:
- Thunder Power Pro Race LiPo packs have a maximum discharge rate of 30C
- Thunder Power eXtreme Race LiPo packs have a maximum discharge rate of 25C
- Thunder Power Sport Race LiPo packs have a maximum discharge rate of 20C
These Thunder Power LiPo packs for RC cars are an upgrade for any 1/10th scale electric vehicle: off-road monster trucks, rc stadium trucks, r/c buggies, on-road rc touring cars, pan and oval rc cars.
Advantages of Converting to LiPos in RC Cars & Trucks
When converting from NiMH or NiCd to Lithium Polymer packs, there are a number of advantages.
- 2-cell LiPo packs are rated at 7.4V which will give increased power compared to old 7.2V NiMH and NiCd batteries.
- LiPo batteries don’t suffer from the ‘memory’ effect, and can be recharged at any time. This means that when you finish a race, you can simply top the battery up again and be ready for another use. With NiMH or NiCd batteries, the packs had to first be discharged before charging in order to preserve the full capacity.
- LiPo batteries are lighter than NiMH and NiCd batteries meaning your RC cars and trucks will go faster!
Li-Po batteries have the ability to supply current at a high rate, measured in terms of multiples of their capacity. This is referred to as a ‘C’ rating. A lithium battery rated at 1C can transfer its entire capacity your RC vehicle in as little as one hour. A lithium battery rated at 10C can supply its entire capacity in as little as 1/10th of an hour. The new 5400mAh pack is rated at 20C, which means it can supply 20 times 5.4A for 1/20th of an hour. That’s 108A continuous for 3 minutes!
Thunder Power RC Race Series LiPo Packs are Impact Resistant and Approved by ROAR
A special hard case makes these packs different from previous Li-Po packs. Li-Po batteries are composed of individual cells, added together in series to reach the desired voltage, and in parallel to reach the desired capacity. In their natural state these cells are soft, with a surface of metallic foil, usually protected by an external layer of flexible heat-shrink plastic. As a result, impacts can dent the cells and possibly cause damage. For use in competitive racing, the official ROAR (Remotely Operated Auto Racers) specifications require a factory installed hard shell around all Lithium Polymer battery packs for impact resistance.
Thunder Power RC Surface Lithium Polymer Battery Packs:
The New Thunder Power RC Car Lipo Battery Pack Configurations Include:
- TP-3300-2SXRD (THP33002SXRD / TP3300-2SXRD)
7.4V 3300mAh 25C eXtreme Race Li-Po Pack with Deans connector
- TP-3900-2SPRD (THP39002SPRD / TP3900-2SPRD)
7.4V 3900mAh 30C Pro Race Li-Po Pack with Deans connector
- TP-5000-2SPRD (THP50002SPRD / TP5000-2SPRD)
7.4V 5000mAh 30C Pro Race Li-Po Pack with Deans connector
- TP-5100-2SXRD (THP51002SXRD / TP5100-2SXRD)
7.4V 5100mAh 25C eXtreme Race Li-Po Pack with Deans connector
- TP-5400-2SSRT (THP54002SSRT / TP5400-2SSRT)
7.4V 5400mAh 20C Sport Race Li-Po Pack with Traxxas connector
- TP-5400-3SSRT (THP54003SSRT / TP5400-3SSRT)
11.1V 5400mAh 20C Sport Race Li-Po Pack with Traxxas connector
Where to Buy Thunder Power RC Car LiPo Packs
Draganfly Innovations Inc. www.RCToys.com is the best place to buy Thunder Power LiPo batteries. We have free shipping world-wide and carry the complete line of Thunder Power batteries, chargers, balancers and accessories. We have all the current Thunder Power RC Li-Pos for RC cars already listed on our site. Keep watching our Thunder Power RC News Page and Thunder Power News RSS Feed for more information and when we expect the first shipment of these exciting new Thunder Power RC Car & Traxxas Truck Lipos to arrive.
The 12 inch DF-1245CR, 10 inch DF-1045CR, and 8 inch DF-8045 CR are pairs of counter rotating propellers. Counter rotating propellers are useful for experimental and twin engine aircraft, because they cancel out torque and p factor.
When an aircraft’s propeller or rotor spins, it generates torque. Torque can be described as the tendency for the aircraft to move its nose in one direction, due to the motion of the propeller.
Torque can be eliminated by using a pair of propellers, each spinning in opposite directions. Each propeller is curved in opposite directions, so that they both provide forward thrust while spinning in opposite directions.
The Lockheed P-38 lightning is one of the most famous applications of the counter rotating technology. During world war II, engineers needed a way to ensure that their fighters remained on target while using their weapons. They eventually settled on the counter rotating design, because the torque caused by each engine spinning in the same direction made it difficult for the plane to remain on target.
Because they eliminate torque, counter rotating propellers are an ideal choice for quad rotor and twin engine RC aircraft. A great example is the Draganflyer RC helicopters, which use the counter rotating design to prevent torque. Counter rotating propellers are difficult to find, so get some for your RC aircraft today.
Use this handy reference to locate replacement parts for your Bladerunner RC helicopter. Please note that the Firefly and Micro Mosquito main rotor blades are the same, except for the color. Also, all of the rotors that we sell (with the exception of the Firefly) are solid black. If you are unsure which rotor blades to use, please call us at: 1-800-979-9794 and we will be happy to assist you.
|Helicopter Name||Main Rotor Diameter||Replacement Main Rotor||Replacement Tail Rotor||Replacement Parts Kit||Repair kit item #|
|Micro Mosquito||6.25 inches||BR-MM-ROTORSET and BR-FF-ROTORSET||BR-MM-TRP-UPG
|Micro Mosquito V5||6.25 inches||BR-MM-ROTORSET and BR-FF-ROTORSET||BR-MM-TRP-UPG||BR-MM-REPKIT||45003|
|Firefly||6.25 inches||BR-FF-ROTORSET and BR-MM-ROTORSET||Not available||BR-FF-REPKIT||45004|
|Black Ghost||5.5 inches||BR-BG-REPKIT||BR-BG-TRP||BR-BG-REPKIT||45007|
|The Incredible Hulk
||5.5 inches||Sold with replacement parts kit||BR-BG-TRP||BR-BG-REPKIT (includes main rotors)||45007|
||5.5 inches||Sold with replacement parts kit||BR-BG-TRP||BR-BG-REPKIT (includes main rotors)||45007|
|Bladerunner Search and Rescue||9.5 inches||BR-SR-ROTORSET||Not available||BR-SR-REPKIT||61218|
|Bladerunnner 2||11.5 inches||BR-ROTORSET||BR-TRP||BR-REPKIT||40326|
|Bladerunner 2 channel||11.5 inches||BR-ROTORSET||Not available||BR-REPKIT||40326|
|Bladerunner Spiderman||11.5 inches||BR-ROTORSET||Not available||Not available||Not available|
|Micro Nano||5.5 inches||BR-BG-REPKIT||BR-BG-TRP||BR-BG-REPKIT||45007|
|Bladerunner 3||9.5 inches||BR-SR-ROTORSET||Not available||BR-SR-REPKIT||61218|
Use the right glue – Using the right glue is of critical importance during the construction of your foam RC model airplane. Use foam safe CA glue, and apply it very sparingly. It only takes a tiny drop to attach two parts properly. By using the right glue in the right amounts, you can reduce the overall weight of the RC model airplanes fuselage.
Make the radio system lighter – Choose a radio system with the lightest components possible. Find lightweight servos with weights between 4.7 and 7.8 grams, such as our Hitec or Draganfly brand micro servos. Try to get the lightest servos possible. You can reduce the weight of your radio system by removing the bottom portion of the servo case. In most cases, this can simply be unscrewed. The plastic receiver case can also be removed quite easily. As a last resort, you can attempt to directly solder the servo wires to the receiver. This will save the weight of the connectors, but only attempt this if you are very comfortable soldering.
Choose the right lipo battery – The battery is one of the heaviest components of any foam RC model airplane. Look at the different sizes of battery available, and compare brands to find the lightest. Choose a battery based on the physical limitations of the model and the flight time that you want. In most cases, a 350 Mah battery is sufficient.
Modify the landing gear – Most foam RC model airplanes come with plastic wheels. If you will only be flying your foam model indoors off of a smooth floor then you can remove them. There are several lighter landing gear systems you can use, but we recommend using a skid made out of piano wire or a spare push rod. This procedure shows you how to make one:
- Cut the wire to the length that you want. You can save even more weight by making the wire as short as possible.
- Using a pair of needle nose pliers, bend the end of the wire into a U shape.
- Use CA glue to attach the wire to your models landing strut (usually made of carbon rod.)
- Wrap the entire joint with Kevlar thread. Do not use too much, or it will offset the weight loss gained from removing the wheels.
- Cover the area with a small amount of CA glue.
You can also add small foam wheel pants as decorations – the weight gain from this is minimal.
Follow these tips to reduce the weight of your foam RC model airplanes.
The Multiplex Minimag is a durable foam RC model airplane. It has a 4 channel proportional radio system, and a brushed motor / NiMh battery power system. Many users of the Mulitplex Minimag add brushless motors and lithium polymer batteries for increased flight performance. This article will show you how to do these modifications yourself.
The RC Components You Will Need
We have put together a list of the best RC components to use for modifying the Minimag RC model airplane. You will need:
- A Brushless Motor – A Himax 2815-2000 works well for this application.
- A Speed Controller – Use a Castle Creations Thunderbird 36 amp ESC. It will provide plenty of power for the recommended motor, and will run off a variety of lithium polymer batteries.
- A Lithium Polymer Battery – A Thunderpower 3 cell 2100 is a great battery to use. You can get up to a half an hour of flight time (depending on throttle management), and it fits neatly underneath the Minimag’s wing.
- A Propeller – The brushless motor will need a different propeller. We recommend a 7 x 5 APC propeller.
- A Charger – You can use either a Thunderpower 535C or a 610C charger. Each will allow you to quickly charge your battery at the flying field using a 12 volt power source.
Eventually we will sell all of these components in a kit. Until then, you can order them by clicking on the above links and pictures.
RC Components Installation Procedure
Many of these components will seamlessly drop in to the Minimag RC airplane where the original parts were. Follow this procedure when installing your improved power systems.
- Remove the brushed motor, and install the brushless version. Be very careful not to damage the motor wires. All of the bolt holes from the old motor should match the new one perfectly, so just push in the brushless motor and bolt it on.
- The 3 cell 2100 lithium polymer battery can be placed under the wing. Make sure that it doesn’t move in flight, and route its wires to where the electronic speed controller will be installed.
- Connect the speed controller to the motor, battery, and receiver.
We hope that you enjoy the increase in power and flight time that this upgraded power system will give you. Feel free to post comments describing your own ideas, and let us know how this modification works for you.